Wednesday 22 July 2020

What is the significance of Art in everyday life?

Anita Nair | On the Artistic Process

Anita Nair has been one of my favourite writers of all time, for any many reasons!

One reason why we at the Department of English decided to personally invite her over to MCC, to talk to our students at the Department of English, over a ‘Book Review Event’ on 06 April 2016!

And so nice of her, she gladly accepted to grace the occasion. 

Ms. Anita Nair with our PG Final Years, 06 April 2016

The rest, as y’all know, is history, and is also on our YouTube page HERE! ;-)

At MCC, Ms Anita Nair motivated students to read good books of all hues, and also spoke at length on the writing process.

Says Ms Anita Nair -

When you look back on your life, and you ask yourself, ‘Did I write all by myself?’, or ‘Did I write because the world expected me to write in a certain way?’

And well, given the choice between individual worth and societal worth, I have always maintained that individual worth is more important than collective worth and it has always been the leitmotif of most of my works. That’s because I've always believed that in the contest between individual and the society the individual always prevails!

Now fast forward to a TedX talk given my Ms Anita Nair in November 2017 titled, ‘A Story about a Story-teller’, where she talks again on a similar theme! And with such apt and able illustrations!

To Ms Anita Nair, then, artistic success takes place only when one moves out of one's comfort zone to create an impact on those around as well as on oneself.

Says Ms Anita Nair –

After publishing my first two novels, and tasting success, I was constantly being invited to dinner parties and speaking engagements, world tours, etc.

But at some point in my life, I took a step back and asked myself, “Is this artistic success, all this fame, is this truly a measure of artistic success?”

Or…

“Is artistic success something when an artist raises the bar or pushes himself or herself beyond the limits?”

You tell yourself that you'll pushed yourself out of your comfort zone. And that’s when you feel you’ve made an impact not just on the world around you but also on yourself.

So this was a question that was troubling me.

I was asking myself this question over and over again. Am I going to play to the gallery?

Am I going to keep writing the same kind of things that have got me success or am I going to push the barrier higher?

So that’s when I remember something significant that happened in my life.

I was working in advertising in Bangalore. These were the pre-internet days.

It was a little agency and so I had to climb up the steps and in the reception, there was a Kathakali dancer standing in his full costume. He was there to do an ad for a rate card. I soon found out that he was a figure of ridicule. For one minute of stage time, the Kathakali dancer practices for almost a record 100 hours! But all his practice of nine years goes for contempt and scorn in a moment like this!

It was then that I wanted to write a book on artistic success.

To me artistic success is about pushing the barriers.

Taking it to the next level to be able to tell myself at the end of it all that this was worth it.

What is the significance of Art in everyday life?

It's probably a work of painting that hangs on the wall or a piece of music that you listen to when you walk up the stairs in the reception area, and then you forget all about it. 

Or probably a book that you’d read never to look at again.

But somewhere somebody is working endlessly on it and toiling endlessly for it.

And for what Joy???

Yesterday I was having dinner with my publisher and she was telling me about a cricketer who was writing his biography.

And once the economics of publishing was explained to him, he was shocked and he turned around and said, ‘Why do writers write? There seems to be no profit of it!’

Indeed! There's no money in it. Writers write because we can't help ourselves. We have to write.

Every artist writes or creates because they can't help it.

So yes, there is serendipity!

Self-examination!

That's one of the things I need to remember as a storyteller. I need to be able to create my stories.

At the end of it all when I look back and ask myself, ‘Why do I write?’

‘To lead from ignorance to the beginnings of knowledge’.

‘From prejudice to a better understanding and to reaffirm in these time, wreaked with discrimination and terror, that there is still hope!’

‘And that we need to be as much Humane as we are human’.

‘Nothing else matters. Nothing else is of consequence!’

So beautifully, straight from the heart, she’s summed it all up!

W. B. Yeats in his ‘Irish Airman’ poem, says something on a similar vein –

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public man, nor cheering crowds,
A lonely impulse of delight
Drove to this tumult in the clouds;

Chinua Achebe also has a delightful take that runs on similar lines –

Says Achebe, Chinua Achebe –

For me there are three reasons for becoming a writer.
The first is that you have an overpowering urge to tell a story.
The second is you have the information for a unique story waiting to come out, and
The third is that you consider the whole project worth the considerable trouble.
I have sometimes called it terms of imprisonment you have to endure to bring it to fruition…

So yup! From Anita Nair, to Chinua Achebe to W. B. Yeats, they all have one motivational liner for us all – literary souls -

When you have an overpowering urge to tell something, just express it!

Jot them down! Put them on a canvas! Yes! Without bothering about anything else – I repeat – anything else! - like the public man, or cheering crowds!

Just write…!

Write-a-way!

Rightaway!

And the rest will fall in place! Straightaway! ;-)