Monday 23 July 2007

Monthly Musings on my Classes... June to July 2007

After a month into the new Academic year at College, I blog my thoughts on Students and Academics from my point of view in our monthly review.

Starting with the I year Pbt/Zoo classes - I had made it mandatory that the class should bring along with them both their visa and passport, and till date they've been punctually and sincerely sticking to the unwritten rule of the thumb. The class gave me their feedback a fortnight ago, and I'm happy to say that the class has been so dynamic and proactive, encouraging their fellow classmates and making the class activities a great success.
Newspaper analysis, especially, hacking the Jumble, has met with quite a great amount of enthusiasm going by any indication. The fact that many a I Pbt/Zoo student can be seen reading the newspaper during any spare time in college speaks to their sincerity.
Mock Interviews have been a great success, starting from Melanshiya to Hopeland who literally brought a live snake to class to enthrall and surprise onlookers while enacting "Steve" Irwin, the famous crocodile hunter. Ten others have also done their part well, and the thunderous speech on Love by Elijah Victor deserves appreciation.
The communication skills time that we have in class has been roaring. Sentences for fluency practice are being practised with great gusto in and out of class.
As regards acting, so far, around 16 students have expressed interest and the skits, are being readied, and like the previous years, after practising for a couple of days, it will be staged, with all the sixteen taking part.
Encouragement and enthusiasm, they say, is contagious. The I BSc PBT and Zoology students are witness to this. Congrats dear Students. Keep up the good work. You make my day better.

I BA English class - A dynamic batch, I would say, with equal gusto and determination... together as a class of around fifty, they have been doing wonders in academics so far. The extra curriculars done in class have been met with great success, with students showcasing their latent talent, thus honing them. A host of personalities from Mother Teresa (2), George Bush, Sonia Gandhi, etc have made the audience lively with their thought-provoking replies. (except Thirumoorthy).
Keep up the good work. You are one dynamic and cheerful lot. Keep up the spirit dear students.

II BA Phil/Tam : A class with patient endeavour, perseverence and the will to succeed. The moment you step into class, you feel the aura of enthusiasm invigorating you to the core. A teacher's delight. They were firsts in everything. Submitting the front page design with alacrity and aplomb, they also did their first weekly test on Communication Skills very seriously and got flying colours. Proud of you dear students. The Philosophy class, which usually has a lot of sportspersons and hence lacks in attendance usually, turn up in full strength, much to my surprise and amazement. I promise you the best of whatever a teacher can give to you dear students.

II BA English - They were, i thought, very dynamic and forthcoming, but some of them lack the spark, and make the others also sparkless. "A Candle loses nothing of its brightness by lighting another candle." There are a regular threesome, who make it a point to stand out of the class and say hi to the teacher, and say, "Sir, Attendance, i need to do...." and it's a rarity to see them in class. Not even once have I seen them in my classes. Five colleagues testify to this fact about these particular students. Sad state of affairs.
The newspaper session in class, meant to make them more forthcoming in class participation, was a huge fiasco, going by any indication. I had to bug and beg to make things happen, which is a sorry state of affairs. But for these five students who make my heart sad while entering the class, the rest are enthused, lively, and dynamic. Thanks and kudos to them. Thus, cos of this fearsome five, I've decided against initiating them into a few things. Learn atleast your literature stuff better, and in this regard, i'll give you my best lectures. I assure you that.

III BA English class : A lively class replenished with enthusiasm and abundance of talent. I meet them just once a week this semester. The interactions we have in class, it has been going on from their II year, have been very lively and thought-provoking to the core. You are an enthusiastic lot with gusto and most of you have been very focussed. Commitment to work and schedule is another thing worth appreciating in you. I like coming to your class just for the enthusiasm you generate. It makes me double enthused. You are a teacher's delight. Keep up the spirit and the gusto.

1 comment:

  1. What a great blog you have and helpful to other students - I commend you on your efforts. I've found so many student blogs where there is nothing but the latest parties or complaining about this or that. It's nice to see a college student taking their blog seriously - I am sure this is a reflection of your life and the success you will achieve.

    ReplyDelete