Tuesday 22 January 2019

'There is a distinct purpose for having your story written down, because for two centuries people have been representing us in Australian literature!'

‘I’m using the coloniser’s language to write about what they’ve done to us!’ raves Anita Heiss, Aboriginal writer and novelist when asked why she - an Aboriginal writer – resorted to writing in English – the language of the colonizer!

She opines furthermore, on the USPs of Aboriginal writers and their distinctive writing style – and I quote from Anita Heiss herself –

For Aboriginal writers, writing is a form of catharsis, and as a means to make sure their voice has a place in Australian literature, as a means of having a political voice, in a country where we are still voiceless in the political system, where the arts is the only political platform we have, where literature remains a highly political tool!

ANITA HEISS
It’s not just sitting and staring at the window and write about every metaphor for butterfly etc. There is a distinct purpose for having your story written down, of having a political space in this country, of making sure that we have our own self-representation in this country, because obviously for two centuries people have been representing us in Australian literature!  Added, there are some distinct differences between style and language, motivation and content as to the contrastive frames of reference between the aboriginal and non-aboriginal styles of writing!

There’s such a huge difference between aboriginal stories on the page, and non-aboriginal stories on the page! When you read works of aboriginal writings, you will see that there’s very little difference between the spoken word and the written word, and literally, the conversational style or the oral form is just digested onto the page, whereas the non-aboriginal writing is edited to conform to a particular literary style! I prefer to read conversationally!

That’s Anita Heiss, Australian Aboriginal writer for us all!

Well, while doing some research on Aboriginal writing, I personally chanced upon a precious read that was edited by Anita Heiss, titled, Growing Up Aboriginal in Australia!

This book has a wonderful collection of thought-provoking essays that serves to enlighten our understanding on the Aborigines, coming as it does from very high-profile scholars in the field!

The diverse voices, the multifarious experiences and the myriad stories of more than fifty scholars in the field, reveal to a great extent, as Anita would say, ‘the impacts of invasion and colonisation – on language, on country, on ways of life, on how people are treated daily in the community, the education system, the workplace and in friendship groups.’

The very first chapter opens before us the readers, in the form of a very profound and enlightening conversation between two sisters Susie and Alice Anderson, who discuss among other things, what it means to be an Aborigine in Australia, with special focus on family life, school life and the ‘white’ society around them! 

Brings out to a tee, the angst and the dread, the pain and the embarrassment of being an Aborigine in their own land and soil!

Just a little excerpt from this chapter to bring out the angst of the Aborigine in a nutshell for y’all –

I quote –

Alice: There were a lot of things within our school, or just that small-town community environment, that I just wish would have been different. But probably still aren’t. There was a yearly scholarship for Indigenous students at our school, and my class coordinator would always try to get me to enter. One year I didn’t and at the end-of-year presentations they read out my entry from the previous year and gave it to me anyway. I was so angry and some people in my year made me feel shit for accepting it because I ‘wasn’t really Aboriginal’. There was another time the health teacher addressed me in front of the entire class about personal experiences with alcoholism, since I was Aboriginal. I told her she was a bitch and I got suspended.

I spent a lot of high school, and my time living in Horsham, feeling angry and frustrated and denied. I never once felt ashamed of who I was. I felt displaced. White people didn’t accept me as black, and I felt like only my family knew me as black. Sorry to spew all of my pent-up high school frustrations into one long-winded reply. But there’s one more thing I remember.

My Year 12 Studio Arts teacher was one of the only ones I liked at my school. She actually talked to us as people. We were studying Tracey Moffatt and she was reading aloud from a pretty outdated-looking textbook. Out loud rang the words ‘half-caste’. I remember my stomach dropping and that weird knot in your throat that forms but you can’t swallow. I expected to look up from my book to a sea of eyes staring at me in the classroom, but everyone was carrying on, unfazed. I went home and cried.

Susie: I’m so sorry you had that experience, my darling. There is a lot of power in those words ‘half-caste’ and ‘quadroon’. Those are terms that were used so carelessly but defined identities and the existence of our dad, uncles, aunties, grandmother. A lot of the time I have feelings about how my appearance, for some people, excludes me from my Aboriginal identity. It’s a battle that I have internally all the time. It’s social conditioning. I will never get the inclusion and membership to community simply from my looks. A lot of it is a white thing, sure, but that’s also the culture we were brought up in and that takes a lot of mental and emotional undoing.

Alice: Slightly off topic, really, but I just remembered that an Aboriginal woman used to hang around the Preston supermarket when I lived there, and she would ask people for money, but she used to call me ‘sis’, so I would give her coins even though I could not afford to, because it made me happy to be recognised for who I am, but also because I wanted to help her. Then I told my friends and they were like, ‘she probably just says that to everyone so they give her money’. So the next time I saw her I asked her who her mob was and she asked me back.

Susie: Yeah. I know identity is nothing to do with skin colour and it goes much, much deeper than that. But it’s so hard when that’s how mainstream Australia thinks about ‘what an Aboriginal person looks like’!

Well, the book is available on Amazon and on flipkart as well, and is a high-value primer for scholars doing their research on Australian Aboriginal Studies.

This apart, Anita Heiss has also given TED talks, where she’s in her elements! All through her enlivening talk that kept the audience spell-bound and hooked hard to their seats, Anita comes out spontaneous, and poetic, offhand, with such timing and such a sense of amazing humour on her!

Just a few excerpts from off her TED talk for us all –

The TED talk of 18 minutes, is easily accessible on YouTube also!

I quote from her TED talk -

Anita on TED | Brisbane
I'm from the origination and without hesitation I pay my respects to the traditional owners of land and I think by army for all that I am I tell stories through literature you'll soon get the picture but I also hunt for kangaroo and I turn it into yummies do or sometimes I'll make a rookery but if I'm in a hurry i'll throw some room in the wok with some bok choy oh boy I make a delicious rooster fry you should try it's called culinary fusion there's no delusion all peoples do evolve we have not dissolved because of colonization or assimilation it's called integration our diverse nation and just so you know I don't go walkabout and I don't you catch trout i drive a silver sports car it's  the best by far sunroof and leather seats it can't be beat when the roof goes down I go Brown but I don't get burned because I have learnt that some cancer is not cool and yes and black fellas can get some cancer some cancer is not cool and I'm no fool because I went to uni I did a PhD i graduated in a fancy hat and robe without the strobe lighting i had snow white hair then it was frightening nobody told me they said blondes have more fun I didn't get a date anyway clocks on I look like a clown it's much more normal brown I don't tell time by the Sun and like summer wear and I swatch and I don't drink scotch I don't wear oka and I don't throw a spear and I don't drink beer

I love going to the beach
and into the classroom to teach Indigenous Studies
for my students are my buddies
and I tell them about Aboriginal life in Sydney Town
and although my skin is brown
they shouldn't frown
because we were all the same
I want to tell you about my writing
how exciting
I hear you say so
with no delay
I wrote a book called token Corey
some call it poetry
I call it social observations
my own translations of conversations with white fellows and me
it's about being invisible because
racism is divisible
it's about pride in identity
what it means to be me
it's about reconciliation
survival of the aboriginal nation
and my own self determination
it's about defining who we are
which is by far something others have done too much
in a rush to make us different
but a name can make us the same
and that name is human
it's about being lonely
if only I had someone to love
but don't fret because
I bet I just need to look
in the meantime here's my next book

I wrote a book ordinary talents about a young Aboriginal girl
who not by chance had a life of misdirection
under the active protection
she was one of the stolen generations
without hesitation
without explanation
her family and identity taken
fears awakened
she grew up in a place called bomaderry
which wasn't like life with her own family
she was fostered by the berks
a new brother Sam was a jerk
but she made friends with Tony and dot
and that meant a lot
but a cruel boy Johnny Jones called her names
and she had no games
but she could sing and play the guitar
which got her far in dealing with life of not being white!

Yesss! this legendary Aboriginal Writer, Novelist and Expert on Australian Aboriginal Studies, is in Chennai, on 30 January 2019, at 10 am, with the Department of English, Queen Mary’s College. She’ll be so glad to take questions from students! This rare-o-rare ‘one of its kind’ programme is open exclusively for PG students in English Literature! Others are also most welcome! There’s no entry fee! But make sure you book your seat wll in advance with Dr. Maria Preethi, as this is a ‘limited-capacity’ auditorium! You may kindly contact Dr. Preethi @ 9444067051.

Image courtesy: blackincbooksdotcomdotau, penguindotcomdotau, youtubedotcom

No comments:

Post a Comment