Friday 21 July 2023

Consistency is the key!

My Article in The Indian Express ❤️

21st July 1999 ✍🏼

#memoriesfromdiaries 

I couldn’t have imagined that, one day, my diary entries would be adorning something called a blog, on the world wide web!

So yes! today’s blogpost on a past personal diary entry of mine, is significant for two reasons.

First and foremost, on this particular day, my article had appeared in the Letters to the Editor column in the Indian Express.

21st July 1999 - Personal Diary Entry

Encouraged and enthused by my dear Librarian Dr. Jesudoss Manalan, who motivated me skyhigh to write for magazines and newspapers on a regular basis, I began writing for newspapers and magazines. Many were rejected, but some were published.

The very joy of spotting your name in the day’s newspaper is enough to enliven and to encourage you to keep writing, ain’t it?

On this particular day, around 8.30 am, while reading through the day’s newspapers, I was carefully poring through the editorial page, [considered to be the brain of the newspaper,] when down below, on the same page, to my great surprise and astonishment, I spotted my ‘letter to the editor' adorning the page! 

My joy knew no bounds you see! 😊

Back then, when email was literally unheard of, we had to type out the letter manually, in the nearest typewriting centre, [giving an additional two rupees, for using a carbon copy  - which is for your personal files], and then send across the ‘original’ letter to the Newspaper Editor by ordinary mail.

I well remember, when once, I had forgotten to sign my letter, and the newspaper office promptly returned it to me, asking me to affix my signature on the letter and return it to them. They then published it as well. 😊

This was indeed a great boost and a fillip for me to keep writing.

The second one from today’s diary entry is that, my article had appeared in the College Magazine as well.

I had written an article on the harmful effects of smoking, under the title, ‘Slow-Motion Suicide’.

Many of my professors had lauded me on writing for the College Magazine and for the Newspaper.

Those lovely encouragements from my dear Librarian and my Professors indeed kept me going on and on in the world of writing!

From then on, I started writing regularly for the College Magazine and for Newspapers and Journals as well.

Well, dear reader, if you’re thinking about how to start writing and having your article published, for a start, try writing a Letter to the Editor for a leading English daily in your town / city.

At times, they might turn it down, or even ignore it. 

But perseverance pays!

Keep writing them regularly! 

Again, consistency is the key!

After a particular point in time, to your great joy and delight, you will be recognised! Your labours will not go in vain!

Also get every available opportunity to write for your college magazine, or department magazine.

These would be the baby steps to help you in carving a niche for yourself in the world of writing!

To conclude, this personal diary entry taught me five lovely things

1. Writing ‘Letters to the Editor’ for the Newspaper

2. Writing for your College Magazine / other Journals / Periodicals

3. Writing consistently!

4. Encouraging others and wishing the best for them when they write or achieve anything! Encouragement is a great morale booster you see!

Lastly,

5. Having your evening tea/coffee with your buddies! 😊

And well, here’s wishing you happy writing and happy coffee-ing as well! 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment