Wednesday 12 April 2023

"Earlier, I sought for validation from others. However, three or four months into my PG Programme, I stopped looking for validation from others. That’s when, I really started growing..."

Two Students and A Four-hour long Spirited Conversation

A Teacher’s Joy & Delight! ❤️

Guess what? 😊 Last evening, I had sent out a special surprise invite to two students – from the II MA English Class, requesting them to meet me at the SRO whenever they’ve some spare time on them. Both of them cheerfully agreed, and the next morning they were promptly there at my office.

Initially they must have been a bit surprised to get this invite, and hence had a little puzzled look writ large on them.

Then, I had to break the ice by congratulating them for being the best version of themselves [a term I’ve borrowed from their sprightly senior – Joen Melody] throughout their academic stint as vibrant students in this amazing institution.

Without much ado, let me proudly present them both to you, ladies and gentlemen -

Gayathri K, and Ganesh Aadhitya!

So yes! I start by asking the first question (in a more than four-hour long, free-wheeling conversation that followed) to Ganesh...

Is there any marked, perceptible change that you observe in your juniors today, that wasn’t there five years ago, when you started off on your BA Programme?

Five years ago, we had seniors – a few of them – who went that extra mile for us – after 1.30 pm every day, they used to stay back in Selaiyur Hall or Heber’s or Thomas’s, and these interactions with them were so helpful to juniors like me, back then.

They taught me about this wonderful Campus. The II MA Class has a great unity – a togetherness – that we learnt outside the classroom. 

In the past, we used to have regular Literary & Debating Events which gave us an edge over the others. But today, sadly, this culture is on the decline. In 2018, there were 35 to 40 students staying back in College for Debating, Block & Tackle, etc. But today, sadly, the numbers have come down drastically.

In Loyola College, I bagged two first prizes – one for Quiz and one for Connection, and we were just six participants from our Dept for the event, and still we won!

Macphail’s, or the football ground or the stone bench, were some of our most frequented jaunts where we practised and honed our debating and discussion skills.

One thing I firmly believe is this: There’s enough space for these activities and more in MCC. The Campus here is a blessed space which we should capitalize on to hone our skills and talents.

I put forth my next question to Gayathri –

So what keeps you vibrant all of the time, Gayathri? You are always busy doing something or the other, be it curricular, co-curricular or extra-curricular! You’ve already published an article in a SCOPUS -Indexed journal. You’re doing some amazing Friday Inspirational, so consistently, every Friday evening, and quite recently you’ve ventured into directing a short film as well. Something that we really admire in our students. The versatility, the vibrancy and the spirit…

I feel, it’s all in the mind, sir. If you resolve to do something, you can sure do it! No one has to tell me, ‘Gayathri, do this, or do that!’ That’s because the world will always try to pull you down.

My parents initially were a bit hesitant and reluctant when I told them about my passion for making short films. The ‘girl’ factor came into play. But then they started trusting in my abilities.

Many would feel that I do something for a reward. However, it’s not like that. I just do anything I do, because I love doing it. If internal motivation is there, you definitely can do anything for the pure joy of doing it!

Tell us something about your experience in directing your first short film –

I was looking for a cinematographer, and then I got an amazing cinematographer soon after. One thing about me is that, I don’t shout at my crew members. It was really a rich learning experience for me, since we had to pack up at 6 in the morning, and take an Uber taxi and go all the way to the shooting spot. At the last minute, some may call up and express their inability to come for the shoot.

At other times, some will give you some discouraging words, by saying, ‘I’m telling this only in your interest. You are a girl. Know your limitations. We are not trying to ‘discourage’ you”, etc.

Personally, I feel that, if you learn to ignore all these types of criticism, you can do great things in life.

Added, if you’re determined enough, no one can take you for granted. My juniors especially were very supportive of me - the love I give them, they give me back. Teachers’ encouragement also helped us lots.

Okay. Tell us something about your classmate - Ganesh…

He’s amazing, sir. He’ll come to class and once he’s in class, he’ll be very focused and very attentive. He will note down points from any lecture.

On some occasions I’ve asked him, ‘Why are you staying back today?’

He’d throw up a surprise, saying, ‘I want to attend this History Class, or this Economics Class’.

And he’s so passionate about learning and helping others.

Not only that, he’s quite sure of his priorities. He’d say, ‘Right now, this is more important for me’.

Ganesh responds, adding,

That’s right, sir. I usually love attending classes in History and in Economics. We need an inter-disciplinary dialogue. I feel Professors should have the willingness to explore more and more! The other day I had been to Dr. Nirmal’s house, and had a discussion with him for more than four hours. Dr.Nirmal’s talk was very involving and interacting. He had great confidence in his students.

He said, ‘You give any text to my student, and they would be able to work on it’. He was very confident of it.

When I asked him about the state of Higher Education today, he said, ‘As far as Higher Education is concerned, the informal classes that happen outside the class are equally important!’

I was delighted, when, after my Panel Discussion on Founders’ Day, he called me up to enquire how the programme went, and I was so touched by this gesture of Dr. Nirmal, sir.

That’s something I look for, in my teachers, sir. The care, the concern, the commitment and the inspiration!

To another question, Ganesh replied, ‘Idealism is everything, sir. There’s always scope for improvement all of the time!’. We should try and experiment with different ways to tackle an issue, by promoting dialogue, through discussion groups.

Okay Ganesh, now in all fairness, I want you to tell me something about your classmate Gayathri.

Well, sir, She’s always happy. I always see a positivity in and around her. There are very few in this class who are genuinely happy!

Then I interrupt him there and ask him, ‘Ganesh, what do you think makes a person genuinely happy?’

He replies confidently, ‘Whatever she does, she does it with great passion, giving her heart and soul to it, sir’.

And she has an amazing strength of character. Uncompromising in her character at all costs. She always has a sense of curiosity on her, and she always follows the rules as well. Unwavering character is very important to achieve anything in life, and she is blessed with this trait.

In fact, I personally feel that, true education is all about character formation, sir.

Great, Ganesh. Now, tell us about any three takeaways from MCC, after your lovely stint here for five years, now.

Well, in the past two years, especially, I’ve learnt quite a lot, sir.

Earlier, I sought for validation from others. However, three or four months into my PG Course, I stopped looking for validation from others. That’s when, I started growing. That’s real freedom, sir. If you attain that state, you achieve more and more.

I feel that, whatever you do, the personal satisfaction is more important!

Loving what you do, and doing what you love!

That’s real freedom. And to attain to this freedom, self-knowledge is important, sir.

That’s when you will get recognition coming search of you.

Secondly, there may be people around you all of the time, consumed by jealousy, who want bad to happen to you. Even to them, you do good without holding any grudges against them! One day they will recognize your true worth and value, I feel, sir.

I never rejected anyone anytime, sir. I always maintain my positivity at all times, which I feel, creates positive ripples all over.

So what makes MCC extra special for you, I ask Ganesh –

The ethos of self-governance in MCC is something so unique to our college, where we are given all the freedom in the world – we learn from our mistakes! Some of the things in life, you learn from experience, by making mistakes.

Now, I ask Gayathri

What do you feel about the ambience in MCC, Gayathri?

The one thing that I really love about MCC is the freedom here, sir. I remember in our very first day in class, a professor telling us, ‘What are you doing in class on the very first day.. Just go out into the Campus and explore’.

In MCC you won’t have any academic pressure anytime. Moreover, you get to meet lots of students from different cultures.

For a person like me, who doesn’t confine to one particular group anytime, this was such an exhilarating experience.

The Poster for Gayathri K's short film

I’ve learnt a lot of things in MCC, and its multicultural fabric, sir.

I’ve learnt here that people are different. They come from different backgrounds. To each their aura! So certain things we should ignore about them.

At the same time, we should be bold enough to say a firm ‘NO’ when you want to say ‘NO’.

My father tells me, ‘You’re your manager’.

Your firm ‘No’ should be so emphatic that they should not ask you again. After sometime, they’d understand that it’s your character.

I personally feel that, maintaining our individuality is very important, sir. That’s because, once this programme gets over, we say, ‘bye, bye’ to our friends, and we alone are left for ourselves. So I feel it is always important to maintain a strong sense of individuality, sir.

I remember a person complimenting me, saying, ‘You don’t care about what others say!’

That’s so true about me, sir.

I don’t have any haters in class. I feel we need to maintain a neutrality, when Ganesh quipped, ‘detached attachment’!

Sometimes, people may indulge in backbiting, but you don’t.

But if you also do the same things that they do, then there’s no difference between them and you!

Gender discrimination is so rampant, everywhere, sir. But to me, I personally feel that, limitations are there for me. But they’re not restrictions. Within the limitations, I can grow I only I have intense passion.

Both together put forward a few constructive suggestions for the institution –

Effective dissemination of information – especially the information flow – like awareness of events happening in campus.

We should conduct conferences / seminars periodically.

Institutional values/brand name should take precedence over any number of narrowed identities.

The time was now 4.30 by my watch, even as I saw Prof. John coming straight towards me, happily with a hot cup of coffee in hand! That’s when we realised that time had really flown us by.

Well, on a personal note, let me add to say that –

As a teacher, everyone in the class holds a special place, because of their talents, their skills, and their commitment.

But these two vibrant kids I single out, for many reasons.

These two kids have never given me any excuse whatsoever any of the time. They didn’t feel the reason to explain themselves at any point of time, because they were so very committed in doing things on time, every time.

Chiefly for their consistency and their commitment.

They’ve rarely missed their classes with me anytime these two years.

And their enthusiasm is really contagious.

I always find them occupied in some curricular, co-curricular or extra-curricular activities all of the time, managing their time so well.

Ganesh had promised me that he’d present papers and publish papers when he is in his final year. [On an aside], I really didn’t take his words seriously. But he proved that he was capable! With confidence personified, he told me, ‘Sir, as I had promised you in the first year, I’ve presented three papers and also published in books and journals, sir’.

The desire to learn! The courage to be oneself, the love to be passionate about what you do, and enjoy doing it, the will to celebrate your sense of self-worth and individuality! The ability to reach out to everyone, and give that word of appreciation for everyone. Obliging the teacher!

And much more! But let me keep it for yet another post.

For now, please join me dear friends, in congratulating, appreciating and blessing these two amazing students of ours - for being the best version of themselves - celebrating their individuality in every way, and join me in blessing them the very best in their lives!

PS: Well, you may be the next inspirational person I would so love to interview!

What say ye?

No comments:

Post a Comment