Thursday 7 September 2023

In the Guinness World Records...! ❤️

Our MA Students | In the Guinness World Records

A Freewheeling Interview 💜

Today | @ SRO

#Jennifer #Jelshiya

Well, when Jennifer and Jelshiya shared the lovely news that, they had entered the Guinness World Records, our joy knew no bounds.

Dr. Mekala had proudly shared it in the Department’s WhatsApp Group as well.

In this regard, I had sent a message to both Jennifer and Jelshiya, inviting them to meet me at the Student Records Office at 10.20 am, today.

[However, on an aside, I should admit that, I was a tad bit late for the rendezvous, you see, since it took me some added time to wind up on my II BA English Literature Class – what with the vibrant students displaying their author-power full throttle, in such beautiful ways, and creating such impactful stories, using the template given to them in class].

[On this note, let me give my special congratulations to Sarah, Kavya and Hemanth from the II BA English Class for their highly original, inspiring and creative stories], and a special note of congratulations to Shreya Prasath of the II BA English class, for penning such soulful, vibrant and lively poems, and special kudos to Abraham of the II BA English class, on his sweet resolve, to write one poem a day, that he has been doing consistently for more than two weeks now. So proud of you all, our dear, dynamic students].

And while walking my way back to the Office, I heard the good news from a few of our II MA students, that their abstracts have been accepted for presentation in the upcoming Conference. Congratulations to you, our dear students. 

Coming back,

So yes, by 10.30 am, during coffee break, today, I caught up with Jennifer [I MA English] and Jelshiya [II MA English], who were patiently waiting for me at the Student Records Office.

First, I, on behalf of the Deanery of Student Affairs, congratulated both of them for making it to the Guinness World Records.

Well, Jennifer and Jelshiya are among the eminent authors who are part of the ‘thickest book in the world’, recognized by the Guinness World Records.

Both of them had published 30 poems each which are included under the chapter titled, ‘Sculptured Thoughts’.

Excerpts from the exciting freewheeling discussion that followed –

On how she acquired this passion for poetry, and when exactly she had taken this great fascination for poetry, Jennifer said,

Sir, I first started writing poetry, when I was in my 7th and 8th grade.

However, when I was in my ninth standard, the traumatic Chennai floods had ravaged the city to such an extent, that our house was submerged up until the first floor.

This was the real trigger for me to write poetry in all seriousness, she said.

On her earliest influence and inspiration on her that motivated her to write poems, Jennifer said,

Well, sir, it was my English teacher Ms. Lydia who first encouraged me to write poetry, sir.

Even when I was not that motivated, her words had the power to motivate and inspire me to write poetry. I guess I must have written around 30 to 40 poems even back then, sir, she added.

On the spark that proves the themes for her poetry, Jennifer said,

Anything which has a trigger to it – be it even a child playing happily, could prove a real spark for me to write poetry, sir.

On the relevance and usefulness of poetry to today’s generation, she added,

Poetry has a great impact on people even today. Especially after the pandemic happened, many have taken to writing poetry to express themselves.

On her favourite poets, Jennifer said,

It’s Wordsworth and then, Sylvia Plath, sir.

On her future writing plans, she said,

Already, I’ve been writing a novel, since my first UG days in MCC, sir. I hope to have it published soon. I also intend to keep writing poetry, sir, signed off, Jennifer.

Please do join me dear reader, in wishing Jennifer the best in her tryst with poetry and on her maiden novel as well!

Moving on to Jelshiya, II MA English –

On what poetry means to her, Jennifer said –

Sir, to me, poetry is something that gives a beautiful, creative shape to my subtle emotions – subtle emotions that we feel, but we may not be able to express or communicate directly with others. 

At such times, poetry becomes the perfect medium for me to pour out my subtle emotions, sir.

On her favourite poet, Jelshiya said –

I love Emily Dickinson’s poetry a lot, sir, since I can relate to her in a much better way, than I do with most other poets.

On a few ideas by which poetry can be cultivated and celebrated amongst youngsters today, she said –

I think people have lost touch with their inner self, and their emotions, sir.

I guess there’s too much of motivational reels and stories on social media, that prove more harm than good.

Hence, youngsters today should realise their self-worth, and get tuned to their inner self, to celebrate the aura and the power of real poetry.

My Tamil paper in my Higher Secondary Course had a particular creative writing component on writing poetry, for five marks.

That was a great motivation for me to write poetry, sir.

Added, my teachers always encouraged and appreciated me when I wrote poetry. After I joined College, I even started writing short stories, sir.

On what poetry means to her, Jelshiya said,  

To me, poetry is a very powerful, expressive art form, sir. 

Usually I’m not very expressive at all. But poetry helps me channelize my emotions and express them in verse, she signed off!

Please do join me dear reader, in wishing Jennifer and Jelshiya the best in their tryst with poetry and on their rich literary pursuits as well.

[Photo courtesy: Ms. Naveen Priya. Thank you dear Priya ma’am.]

No comments:

Post a Comment