Wednesday 27 September 2023

"I enjoyed doing what I really loved, with my head held high!"

Princess Diana in Conversation

Sruthi as Princess Diana

#classactivity #roleplay

Hi everyone!

I’m Diana, the Princess of Wales. I was widely called the ‘People’s Princess’.

I enjoyed doing what I really loved, with my head held high!

I was known as a humanitarian, as someone who travelled extensively across the world, especially to Egypt, Angola, and a lot of backward countries, to create an awareness on charities, HIV-AIDS, etc.

One historic event in particular that I fondly cherish is an event that happened in January 1997, when I stepped onto an active minefield in Angola, just to create an awareness on landmines, and to put an end to this ‘plague on earth caused by landmines’.

Very soon, the Ottawa Mine Ban Treaty was signed, that united all countries of the world to put an end to landmines.

I’ve always wanted to do the noblest things for my people,

said Princess Diana (Sruthi) introducing herself to her classmates.

Then came the questions –

Could you share with us about your memories, during your visit to India?

Well yes, I was in India, for a six-day tour, in February 1992. Charles was in Delhi for some events, and so I came alone to Taj Mahal. I had some really wonderful memories.

Joanna - How was your life as a princess?

Well, I’ve always wanted to look beyond all the negatives! It was hard though, you see!

But still, I had a vision which was not the Royal Salad! I wanted to remain true to who I was!

Sneha – After your divorce, you had opened up about the English crown. Don’t you think it was like exposing the crown, with such grotesque details, to the world?

Well, to be honest, I had to be quite open about it. I’ve lived all my life there latched up! I was into depression. So I thought I should speak up!

And I guess those interviews really helped me, and they were so therapeutic as well, as I had the chance to interact with people outside the crown.

The crown is not what it really seems to be!

Sneha: But don’t you think it affected your children?

Actually, these interviews uplifted me, and egged me on! They really inspired me to be in touch with the laypeople.

Today, I’m a bit happy to note that, the royal family has at last acknowledged my service for the laypeople, by inaugurating a statue to my memory, at Kensington Palace, on 1st July 2021, on the occasion of my 60th birthday.

Beera – Have you ever regretted your life as a Princess?

Not really! I’ve regretted the marriage, but not my life as a princess. Since, it made me charitable, and come out and help people, with my own free will.

Sharan – Any book that you’ve read that has inspired you?

Well, not really! But I’ve read a lot of books that were written on me. Especially the book titled, The Bodyguard's Story: Diana, the Crash, and the Sole Survivor, which had sold millions of copies.

Vivilia: Could you tell us more about your charity?

I was known for my fashion. So most of my clothing and jewelry, that I had worn my entire life, were sold for record prices, to be of help to charities. They sold for a record 3.25 million dollars. So I feel, my love for fashion has indeed helped me and the people a lot.

Dhanavaishnavi: You are supposed to be the ‘most photographed person’ in the world. How do you feel about that?

Well, the paparazzi was always after me. We had cameras flashing away all the time at me. The fact that I was under constant surveillance – from the crown and from the paparazzi - led to another level of depression for me.

What’s so unique about your life as a princess?

Well, I was the first to wear unconventional suits, that were not in line with the royal fashion.

Diya – What would you have done, if you were alive today?

Well, I’d have continued with my charity work.

Sarukrishna – Why do you think we should know you?

Well, I’ve always felt that Indians had a great fascination for me. I was told that, millions in India watched my wedding ceremony.

Nishita: In what way did you try to change people’s ways and opinions of British monarchy?

Actually, the Crown was always quite distant from the common people. I took the initiative to make the Crown feel closer to the people.

Sneka – What’s your opinion about your second daughter-in-law?

It was wise that she had the guts to move away from the Crown’s control and custody. Again, it was quite obvious that the elder in line to the throne, always gets the crown.

That way, I’m happy that she followed in my footsteps.

Kevin – Were you targeted by the Crown, post-divorce?

Yes, of course! But then, well, there were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded, and so I had to brave it all for the sake of my self-esteem, and take a bold call to step out,

signed off Diana!

Teacher’s Remarks

So happy to note that Sruthi was so cool, calm and collected in her responses. And for a moment it looked like she had almost lived Princess Diana the past week or so, up until the Role Play got over. Sruthi had really done her homework so well, and it showed in the way she answered all questions with aplomb! Kudos to you, Sruthi. 

A special note of thanks to all of you - her classmates - who asked her such thought-provoking questions.

On the whole, it was a rewarding time  on the Role Play hour in class today.

Photo Courtesy: John Stillwell/PA Wire & VoguedotCom

No comments:

Post a Comment