Saturday 22 February 2020

'And how do you keep your feet on the ground, When you know That, you were born to fly!'

Born to Fly – Part 1

Sara Evans has real got you hooked bigtime, - to her voice, her words and her music, - when she soulfully brings out the truths eternal within her pretty, powerful and profound album, ‘Born to Fly’, [which incidentally happens to be her best-selling album too!]

This amazing country music singer is such energy and such joy to listen to!


Do watch the song on YouTube here! And please don’t forget to focus huge on the last three lines of this lovely number, while you do!

And well, er… um… as is usual, please make yourself a cuppa coffee, – double strong – and get yourself reclined regally on your most comfortable sette! And now… you may press the play button rightaway on Sara Evans’s Born to Fly!

Giving y’all the lyrics of this pretty inspirational number – [chances are, you might get some Pink Martini connect at places, but shoo it away, quite gently at that, folks! This one’s much more impactful I say! ;-)

Sara Evans for y’all -

I've been tellin' my dreams to the scarecrow
About the places that I'd like to see
I say 'friend, do you think I'll ever get there?'
Aww, but he just stands there smilin' back at me

So I confess my sins to the preacher
About the love I'd been prayin' to find
Is there a brown-eyed boy in my future, yeah
He says 'girl, you got nothin' but time.'

how do you wait for heaven
And who has that much time
And how do you keep your feet on the ground
When you know
That you were born, (you were born, yeah), you were born to fly

My daddy he is grounded like the oak tree
My momma she is as steady as the sun
Oh, you know I love my folks, but I keep starin' down the road,
Just lookin' for my one chance to run

Hey, 'cause I will soar away like the blackbird
I will blow in the wind like a seed
I will plant my heart in the garden of my dreams
And I will grow up where I want, wild and free

how do you wait for heaven
And who has that much time
And how do you keep your feet on the ground
When you know
That you were born, (you were born, yeah), you were born to fly!

‘The refrain to this song,

And how do you keep your feet on the ground / When you know / That you were born, (you were born, yeah), you were born to fly’

Well, that's something that I found so lovelyyy!

‘How do you keep your feet on the ground’ – is highly suggestive of the pulls, the pleasures and the pressures, mostly of our own entanglement, that we voluntarily and willingly yield ourselves to, that make us keep our feet on the ground, which then, scuttles bigtime our chances of flying! Leave alone flying high and lofty!

These burdens wind themselves around us, sturdy and strong, with such a thickety train, in such a complicated weave and in such a confused knot, that it’s hard, quite hard to come out of its snares and traps that easily!

And these wary traps act a great burden on our sweet little wings, she says!

My all-time favourite poem from Ezekiel, Nissim Ezekiel titled, ‘Enterprise’, deserves citation here!

It started as a pilgrimage,
Exalting minds and making all
The burdens light.

It’s a beautifully innate human response to a voyage or a journey, ain’t it!?

When the very thought of a journey or an excursion or a pilgrimage is announced, how excited we become! The kid in us comes alive, dances full throttle, and paints the whole little town red! ;-)

That’s one reason why Ezekiel says that, even the very thought of the journey was able to make their burdens light! Indeed, for a journey to be highly successful, the burdens should be light-o-light, ain’t it?

And well, metaphorically too, the poem has implications galore for us all!

It makes a lot of sense if we could introspect a bit, take a minute off, to look upon ourselves as travellers!

Travellers of the types that Atwood or Patrick White would suggest, travellers who are so mindful of what’s ahead of them, that they risk their everything to somehow make it successful on their journey!

Hamlet’s soliloquy comes to mind, where he compares humans to travellers, and death to an ‘undiscovered country’ from which the traveler can never return!

‘The undiscover’d country from
whose bourn / No traveller returns’
[Act III, Scene I]

Well, this scene also has one of the most immortal quotes of Shakespeare too!

‘To be, or not to be: that is the question’.

Coming back, Sara Evans has got an amazing thought for us all, when she says,

how do you keep your feet on the ground / When you know / That you were born, (you were born, yeah), you were born to fly!’

Sara Evans means to suggest, that, as a traveller, we've got two options before us! Either to travel light, so that we can fly, or be burdened tight, only to look grudgingly, longingly, and enviously at the free birds who fly! ;-)

To be continued…

image: amazondotcom

No comments:

Post a Comment