Tuesday 20 July 2021

'We believe that the world has 7 billion talents rather than 7 billion issues...'

20 July 1994 | A Sundal by Any Other Name…

#memoriesfromdiaries

Woke up at 5.35 am. [konjam late by warden’s yardsticks] 🙈 

Went for jogging and then to the gym with my friends. 

Then had coffee! 😋☕

Warden wrote down the names of those of us who were late by ten minutes, and later fined us Rupees 5/- per head! [mea culpa]

20 July 1994

Had continental breakfast today!

By 8.20 am, went to post letters. [Those were the good ol’ days of writing letters, ain’t they?]

Came back for our PT class, which was then followed by,

a musical performance in our Auditorium – by the Masterpeace Team!

Just today, with some added curiosity, I looked up the web for more on the Masterpeace team.

Their portfolio looks so catchy and inspiring! It says –

We believe that the world has 7 billion talents rather than 7 billion issues.

Therefore, we use the SOFT POWER of music, art, sports and play to mobilize and inspire young people.

We believe that there is more that we have in common than what separates us.

Therefore, we organize DIALOGUE within and between communities and stakeholders.

Beautiful, ain’t it?

Coming back -

After their mesmerizing performance, I went up to them, all excited, and got their autographs on my slam book!

Last period in the morning session, we had Chemistry.

Post-lunch session, we had Physics Lab, followed by Chemistry class.

Evening had Sundal and Tea! 

Then sat down for writing Class Work!

On this particular day, we had dinner with biryani on the menu.

[One interesting idiosyncrasy I had on me back then was, up until I began my college days, I had a great aversion of sorts for the lovely biryani. Don’t know why! So please don’t ask me why! 😋

Even back at home, when Amma used to make biryani for all of us, she used to make curd rice exclusively for me, since I had some unfounded aversion for biryani back then!]

On this particular day also, I judiciously skipped the biryani part, and had extra curd rice! 🍛

As regards Sundal, I’ve jotted down the entry in its original form – Sundal - simply because the English equivalent did not come to mind back then! 😄Now I realise that the English equivalent isn’t that appealing or appetizing enough, as well! 😋

For a little literary connect - 

Well, I remember reading the word ‘Sundal’ in its pure sundal-ised form for the very first time only in Rajam Krishnan’s novel titled, When the Kurinji Blooms, translated into English from the Tamil original titled, Kurinjithen.

Interestingly, Rajam Krishnan had penned a lovely article for our Department’s Journal, back in the 1990s. The article is titled, “Woman and Family in Literature”.

From English: A Research Journal, 1993


No comments:

Post a Comment