Wednesday 18 August 2021

“If you love something set it free. If it comes back it’s yours. If not, it was never meant to be..."

18 August 1994 | Set it Free… πŸ™

#memoriesfromdiaries πŸ’•

27 years ago... 

No PT for the second consecutive day today, due to the chill weather.

Adding to the chill weather, we didn’t have water too!

But soon, after I had had my coffee, water also came along!

18 August 1994 Part 1
There’s power in the blend, you see! ☕πŸ˜‹

Since Math Master didn’t come, we were given PT period, where we played some football.

We had Sports Meet Trials today, and I participated in the 1000 m and 500 m relays.

I lost the 200 m singles. πŸ™ƒ

Then, stayed back and watched javelin, shot put, long jump, high jump trials that went on for long!

Well, this part of my diary entry is a strange curiosity of sorts! πŸ‘‡πŸ»

Initially I didn’t want to share this part of my diary entry, but then, I felt, it has become a widely prevalent problem these days, and so sharing it would bring hope to some, and a great relief to some others! 

An incident that has left an indelible mark and a deep scar on my mind for life! πŸ˜’

And hence I thought I’d share this part -

You see, I had a friend called Sunil!

Sunil usually asks me (sometimes even pesters me, as you woulda seen in yesterday’s blogpost - reposting here as well!) to sing for him one of his favourite songs on the guitar!

It was a wedding number!

A number that we all grew up with as kids.

He was all head over heels for this wedding number.

When I start singing him the song, he would close his eyes and with all happiness and joy on him, he’d listen to the number.

18 August part 2

Then, he would ask me to sing the song yet again and yet again! 

This seemed a strange curiosity or an oddly eccentric idiosyncrasy! 

This went on for any many days!

You see, songs are meant to be spontaneous! Not meant to be forced out of a person!

Same is the case with any art, ain’t it?

Yes! I loved playing the very little I knew on the guitar!

[my personal diary entry on 17 August 1994]

But it was not out of any external compulsion at all!

It was spontaneous! Whenever I felt like playing on the guitar, in my own kathukkutty ways, I usually did! πŸ˜€

But when he started pestering me, it became unbearable for me! πŸ₯΅

Whenever he walked past my cubicle, I would dread his very presence, as he would pester me yet again, for a song, when i was busy doing my home work or other routine work! 

[I should also admit that, but for this idiosyncrasy, he was such a lovely friend!

He had a squirrel, a kitten and a pup for his company all of the time!

We’ve also seen him pinch some food and milk from the hostel regularly, all of the time, exclusively for his pets!]

So yes! Most of the time I obliged him with a song. But sometimes it was real exasperating!

In today’s parlance,

It’s like those numbnuts who keep calling you a hundred times, when they sense that you haven’t responded to their calls!

Or it’s something like those wackos who keep pressing on the calling bell a dozen times non-stop, pestering you in the process!

As noted critic Scupin Richard rightly points out,

Respecting the personal space of a fellow human being is the ultimate hallmark of gentleness!

Every day’s diary entry of mine these many months [in 1994], would have had this pesky pester all over my pages!

Since they were so much of a pressure and a pester, I had to jot them down I guess! πŸ™ˆ

Be it in a friendship or in a relationship, what people really expect of you is to respect their personal space!

Just allowing them to be themselves!

That’s simply because - 

The beauty of a poem lies in its spontaneity!

The beauty of a cuckoo’s song lies in its spontaneity!

The beauty of a peacock’s quiver lies in its spontaneity!

The beauty of a friend’s love lies in its spontaneity!

The beauty of a work of art lies in its spontaneity!

You can never force an artist to come out with their creation, by pointing a gun at their heads!

You can never force a friend to be all devotion to you all of the time!

It has to be spontaneous! 

When a friend doesn’t respond to your messages, doesn’t mean they are avoiding you!

They just want to be themselves with you!

They just need their personal space, and they know you’d quite understand them and respect them on this aspect!

You can never force a cuckoo to sing a song, by curtailing her freedom to fly!

Similarly, you can never force a friend to do something for you, when they don’t feel like doing it for you!

That’s called respecting a person’s privacy or respecting their personal space!

Respecting the personal space of a fellow human being or bird or animal, whatever the case may be!

When a friend doesn’t reply to your messages, please don’t nudge them on and on! 

Please for heaven’s sake don’t do that!

It only makes them take greater aversion and bayam towards you!

May be that they’ve got other pressing priorities on them!

Or simply that, they didn’t want to commit themselves to you right then!

And if you continue on your mission mode, πŸ™ƒ

Then, that makes them take a full-time, big-time aversion to you all through their lives!

They might end up blocking you off their lives permanently!

That’s hence I’ve so loved this lovely quote -

“If you love something set it free. If it comes back it’s yours. If not, it was never meant to be.”

Yes!

Set it free! πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡

No comments:

Post a Comment