Sunday 13 November 2022

I was mesmerized by the giant Ferrero-Rocher-like golden ball from afar...

My Green and Peaceful visit to Auroville

R. S.  Yasindhra | I MA English

My sister and I had been waiting to visit Pondicherry for a number of months, and so now when this trip happened, we were able to tick this on our bucket-list of places to visit! It was a one-day trip that we had planned. As the whole family accompanied us, we were all eager and excited to witness the beauty of Auroville.

Auroville is an experimental, Universal township situated in a unique corner of Tamil Nadu in South India close to Pondicherry, a former French colony. The purpose of Auroville is to realize the HUMAN UNITY.

The town was bought by Mirra Alfassa in 1968. It was then developed into this centre for spiritual and holistic learning, based on the principles of nature. Everybody, no matter what their caste, culture, gender, and religion is, is welcome here.

When I first reached here, I was quite pleased and even surprised by the space. Everything was spread out, and there were huge open spaces. Even though there were people, the place was exceedingly quiet. It was like everybody was talking in a low tone to maintain the serenity of the place.

After a while I realized it’s a place to stay and soak in the spirit of doing the things you really love. The climate there added to my happiness coinciding the northeast monsoon in late October. It remained breezy all day. Due to the season that most routes in Auroville are unpaved mud roads, Cycling wasn’t a practical option, I chose to walk.

My breakfast started with slow, vegan, organic food that Auroville is specially known for. We had to walk around 5 km approximately. But I can surely not regret walking that long as it did not make me tiring. On our way we saw a lot of plant species, some were medicinal that my mother knew much about, some were floral that was pleasing to my eyes and some unknown varieties which I came across for first time.

The walk, however, is quite rejuvenating, and you will feel blessed. Flowers are hanging from little pots, little cobbles paths and lush green trees that provide the needed shade. It is like walking through a Japanese garden. The walk led me more curious to reach the main attraction of Auroville – Matrimandir.

This viewing point is located about 1 km from the visitor center. While the distance is not too much, the heat can get quite overbearing in summers. So, if you are unable to walk then just grand on of these electric vehicles and they will take you to the point. There are no charges for this ride. 

Finally, I reached the viewing point. The place is quite tranquil. I was mesmerized by the giant Ferrero-Rocher-like golden ball from afar. The building almost feels like it is from a whole another world. It is quite an architectural marvel. This is a golden orb located right in the centre of Auroville and is often called the soul of the city. This orb symbolizes the practice of Yoga. The entire place and the orb took about 37 years to construct. Shri Aurobindo was also a pioneer and founder of Auroville.

To my disappointment, outsiders can only visit in matrimandir with a prior booking which often gets full two days advance. Have read and heard about the experiential feel inside. It is a bit like being in a spacecraft themed on the colour white. The ceiling, walls, pillars, carpets, cushions everything is white. A single ray of sunlight streams throught the roof upon a crystal that sits in the centre of meditation area. While I did not have the privilege to sit and meditate, I have heard that if you meditate here, then you can feel the blood in your body vibrate with a different kind of energy.

Auroville is a place for people who are looking to open their minds and try something new. There is always something happening here, and you will never run out of things to do. When you are visiting Auroville, scroll through the events and attend the ones you can. All of these events will not only make you try something new but you can also make new friends and indulge in a wholesome atmosphere. It was quite liberating for me. From yoga classes to pottery, there are several events, so pick the ones you like and have fun.

One of my favourite activities to do in Auroville is to walk on the beach. The Auroville beach is a stunning golden and black beach and you will fall in love with it. This serene beach captured my heart on the very first day. The soft crashing waves, the little rocks and the entire sea in front of me, gave me ample time to sit and introspect. The beach is quiet and away from the hustle-bustle. It is quite a beautiful feeling to just walk or sit in isolation with only the waves to keep you company.

Auroville has a great many places where you can stay. While there are no five-star hotels, Auroville is filled with homestays and guest houses. Both of them are viable options, and you can choose whichever you prefer.

You need to take an appointment from the visitor office if you want to see Matrimandir from the inside. You need to take the appointment about two days prior, so make sure you plan accordingly.

Auroville is quite a different and beautiful town. It has its way to get the best out of you and make you a better person. After my trip, I felt as if all of my burdens and worries had been magically lifted. I felt calmer and more in control of my life and emotions. 

Auroville is also quite a picturesque place. You can come here just to take a break and try something different. I was really enchanted with everything about this inspiring community and really wished that I had more than one day so that I could stay here and learn more about this special part of the world and contribute in some way. 

One day in Auroville definitely wasn’t enough to really feel what this place is all about but it was certainly enough to inspire me to come back and discover the place for more than a day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment