Friday 17 March 2023

"I am on a journey with a mind full of thoughts to make a change. . ."

A Thoughtful Journey | Maanini Jayal

It was not just a normal routine day. I walked out of my old college with nostalgia and inspiration as I had met my professor to discuss about my research.

With a random aspiration to become the principal of the college, I headed to Tambaram railway station. On my way to the platform to board my train, I saw this man dragging a huge heavy suitcase through the last few steps of the platform. 

Initially, I was hesitant to help as I thought it would be too heavy for me to carry, and I was wondering about his difficulty to drag it.

My stereotypical mind popped out to question his strength as a man. Before I could change my mind and help him, he landed it. He had another bag which he was struggling to pick up. When I helped him to pick it up, I discovered his little physical disability in his right leg and hand.

I walked along with him asking him if I should help him to carry it along. He didn’t mind me much as he looked worried.

He asked me, “Where is the train that was here? They announced it was here. Where is it?” with much anxiety.

I asked him about the timing for which he said, 5: 05. But the time was 5:12 when he reached. I showed him the time and said the train must have left, unable to help him.

I walked past him with a heavy heart thinking about the incident that happened in my life.

My husband, the pregnant me and my ailing father-in-law reached the station an hour prior the journey.

As my father-in-law cannot climb the steps my husband went to enquire about a wheel chair. He was directed to fifth platform to get one.

After a while, he came running asking for my ID card (he forgot his wallet) as it is available only for those with an ID. The wheelchair is to be returned in the same fifth platform to get the ID card back. I and my father-in-law are waiting at the entrance anxiously as it is getting late.

My husband comes all wet with sweat and a wheel chair. I, carrying a few luggage, and my husband pushing the wheel chair take the longest route through the rail tracks and rough paths to reach the platform as there is no provision for easy accessibility for elderly or the disabled.

With great ordeal my husband left my father-in-law in the eighth platform and ran to return the wheel chair while there was only five minutes for the train.

Both of us wait there for him perplexed as the train reach.

Hopeless, we sit there looking for his arrival.

I see him coming running asking me to board the train while he managed to board with my father-in-law through the other door.

Unable to believe the fact that we are in the train, I call him to check if he is really inside. I come to the other side wondering about the people crowded around both of them. With a gut feeling that something has happened, I walk towards them.

I cry out loud seeing my husband bleed from his toe. I for once thought he was caught between the train wheels. People were helping him out but I couldn’t bear seeing him in pain and the blood that was split on the floor.

He had jumped through the tracks to catch the train while he hurt his toe in iron fence. We were grateful that people in the train helped to call for medical support and he was given first-aid at Chengalpet station.

We got down in our relative’s place as he needed stiches and treatment as quickly as possible.

I still wonder how he bore the pain for eight hours. Later, he had around eight stitches. Our journey was terrible but always thankful for the people who helped us.

I regret that I didn’t help that person today.

And, I write this to tell you not do the mistake that I did. Please, be considerate and helpful to people no matter who.

If someone had helped him with the luggage, he may have boarded the train. He was just ten minutes late. I can imagine the difficulty he would have faced to drag it all the way from the first step with his disability.

And if the station had the provision for easy accessibility for wheel chairs and the elderly, my husband wouldn’t have gone through that pain.

I am on a journey with a mind full of thoughts to make a change. . .             

No comments:

Post a Comment