Saturday 2 March 2024

'That’s the kinda question only people of Dr. Nirmal’s stature and calibre can ask you' ❤️

How Our Seniors Continue to Guide Us all the Way…

Blessed Musings on our Former Professors

On How I Learnt to ‘Deal with’ Derrida and Deconstruction! πŸ˜Š

#drnirmalselvamony

#shiningstarsmcc

Well, this post is to acknowledge the love and the care of our senior (retired) Professors, who continue to guide us all - although they’ve retired well over 10 or 15 years ago - just for the sheer love of literature and for their love of MCC!

Just two days ago, when I was waiting at the Chennai Central Railway Station, about to board my train, I was thrilled to get a call from Dr. Nirmal Selvamony.

When I told him that I’m on my way to Mettupalayam, the next question he so spontaneously asked me was,

‘So how many books are you taking with you for your long train journey, Rufus’? 😊

That’s the kinda question only people of Dr. Nirmal’s stature and calibre can ask you.

Indeed, thus far, in my more than two-decade long association with him - Dr. Nirmal has never asked me about any person, or any particular event or issue so far at any point of time.

The only things he shares with me are his academic papers, that he keeps writing by the month.

Sample a few I’ve posted here.

His critique of Springer is so true, since they’ve not lived up to their calibre and expectations of late! It takes such great integrity and moral courage to critique a Springer kinda publication!

I still remember how Dr. Nirmal used to proof-read his research articles word by word, any many times!

Just to make sure that the article does not have even a small typographical error anywhere on it.

I’m so happy that our I & II MA Students and Research Scholars continue to make a beeline to his home, just to interact with him and be inspired and enriched in the process.

Writing the First Draft of this Blog Post, right now! 😊

Since I’m on a train journey myself now, returning from a Conference, I would like to take this opportunity to recollect yet another similar train journey that we had - thanks a million to Dr. Nirmal Selvamony, for giving us the chance to accompany him on a long train journey all the way to Phagwara, Punjab, from 9th to 11th February 2007.

9 - 11 February 2007, ASSM College, Punjab 

Well, this was almost two decades ago! Aleena Manoharan, and myself, we had accompanied Dr. Nirmal on this wonderful train journey to Phagwara, for a National Conference on ‘The Legacy of Saussure and the Contemporary Indian Experience’.

This was the memorable Conference in which I mustered all the courage to present my first ever paper on Derrida and Deconstruction!

Till then, Derrida was almost an anathema to me, since I considered him too scholarly for my little head!

However, our lovely train journey together, dispelled all the colossal doubts I had on Derrida!

This blessed journey that lasted almost 36 hours to New Delhi, and then again a blessed five hours to Phagwara from New Delhi, was an intellectual awakening of sorts for the two of us – Aleena and myself!

8th February 2007, New Delhi, Good Samaritans Institutions

Aleena Manoharan (Dr. Aleena is currently Professor with CMS College, Kottayam), and myself, we were his PhD Scholars back then, and hence we seized the blessed privilege of joining him on this long train journey.

We had a blessed II AC coupe all for ourselves, and hence, we had our exciting conversations, theme by theme, topic by topic, making sure that, either of us carefully alternated to give Sir his much needed tea or coffee reinforcements, from time to time! πŸ˜‰

Dr. Nirmal patiently clarified all my doubts on Derrida, and dispelled the ‘myth’ or the ‘rumour’ that Derrrida was quite a hard nut to crack!

Even today, at DMC College, I was blessed to touch upon Derrida, in my Plenary Talk at DMC College, thanks mainly to Dr. Nirmal who guided me in my tryst with Derrida!

He also gave me key points to present my ideas on Derrida with reference to his concept of ‘aporia’.

Coming back - 

You see Punjab in February is as cold as could be, bordering from 10 to a perfect zero degree Celsius as well!

In this cold weather, we even went around the city, visiting the lovely Golden Temple, the Wagah Border and a host of other exciting places as well.

The students who were in charge of our hospitality, taught us some very good Punjabi as well!

Those blessed days were also blessed days for me, as they marked a turning point in my approach to Deconstruction.

I slowly started devouring any book that contained even the slightest ‘traces’ of Derrida.

Yes, the pun on ‘traces’ is intended! πŸ˜‰

Later on, when our HoD asked me if I could teach Deconstruction to the II MA Class, I gladly agreed!

So yes! This blog post is to thank such great stalwarts of our department, who have always been a guiding light to us all along!

In fact, I’m writing this post even as I am returning from my lovely Goa sojourn, where I met with Dr. Susan, who again, along with her vibrant husband Rayson, did their PhD under the able guidance of Dr. Nirmal Selvamony!

Such is the inspiration of our retired professors on an entire generation of students and staff - who still continue to guide and lead us in every way!

Blessed we really are!

Well, dear reader, do you know something about a Journal that was founded by a legendary Professor of the Department of English, in the year 1986, that was entirely funded by him and his family?

Well, English: A Research Journal was born purely out of the personal initiative of Dr. P. Rajani, Department of English, MCC, who also became the Journal’s founding Editor.

Eminent scholars Dr. Claramma Xavier and Dr. R. S. Chandraleka have also been part of the Journal’s Editorial Board.

On a very heart-warming note, I came to know that the journal was almost entirely funded by Dr. Rajani and his family, with solid academic support from Dr. Rajagopalan and Dr. Nirmal Selvamony, who’ve been a great source of support to him, by helping him edit the essays. Dr. Nirmal Selvamony was one of the regular contributors of essays to this journal as well.

Pranams to their commitment, devotion and dedication!

The Editorial note by Prof. Rajani to this introductory volume, beautifully sets out the scope of the Journal in a nutshell, which I’m sure would be a great source of inspiration to all ye researchers and young faculty members!

Here goes –

A research student engaged in serious academic work needs to have a formal and meaningful outlet through seminars and journals.

While the former need is sufficiently met, the dearth of literary journals in the Madras University area has virtually stifled research publication.

This journal is, therefore, founded to promote research-oriented writing among staff and students of the English Department of the college.

What a noble aim! What a lofty vision!

The Department of English stands tall today, thanks to their love and service-minded devotion to their profession, nay, vocation!

Well, you may want to read more on the Journal of our Department [back then], and its committed contributors, in our past post HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment