Sunday 15 December 2019

'It’s as much important to understand, As it is to be understood'

Sai Shri Ramamurthy | Thoughts on an Alumna

We her teachers call her an enthusiastic kid, a vibrant kid, a committed kid, and one of the most energetic kids in town!

I am extremely delighted to do a little post on this sweet kid of ours!

Sai Shri Ramamurthy, ladies and gentlemen!

Sai Shri did her BSc in Plant Biology & Bio Technology here with us at MCC, (2010 to 2013) and I happened to be their Professor for their English paper!

One fine morning, in the year 2013, during coffee break, she came to meet us, her teachers, in the Staff Room.

‘Anna’, she said, panting, ‘Anna, could you all, come and wish my dad and mom on their wedding anniversary today. They’d be overjoyed Anna!’

‘Okay, kiddo’, we told her, and wanted her to keep it a surprise till we descended on her sweet home. :-)

And as we had promised, we five of us, her teachers, with Dr. Ganesh to lead us, and with Sai Shri in tow, made a sweet beeline to their house, much to the joy, the happiness and the pleasant surprise of her parents.

We also got there, on the occasion, the best coffee in town! She’s a coffee lover, like her father, and like us all, and she’s written down a poem on coffee too!

Such is her love for her teachers, and her parents. One reason why, she always consults with us all, whenever she ventures into anything new, be it her studies or her work or her future!

Her anthology of poems titled, Relationships was released by Dr. Ranga Narayanan and the first copy was received by our Principal, Dr. Alexander Jesudasan, on 21 December 2012. Her proud parents had also graced the occasion with their presence. [It’s exactly close to seven years now, kid!]

Her amazing anthology contains 83 poems in all! And it starts off with a loving poem for her daddy! Added, a very unique trait about Sai Shri’s poems is that, she datelines each of her poems! And she has also structured her poems quite meticulously, in a thematic order!

This particular poem on her Dad is datelined, 3 January 2012.

Daddy’s girl that she always is, the poem starts on this very personal and fond vein!

DINNER WITH DADDY

Dad is having dinner with me,
We start with soan papdi
So sweet like my daddy!
Nice vegetable rice with
Raitha cool like my daddy!
Oh, see
How he shares!
Though nothing from my plate
Goes to his,
This is exactly how it is!
Tasty dinner on the table
Best time in my time table!!

This vibrant kid of ours has also done a little poem on her Professor Anna! :-) Happieee kiddo!

She never misses a teacher’s day wish for her teachers. Always polite, always dignified, and always courteous, she is her teacher’s delight all of the time!

From that day on, till date, Sai Shri has continued on and on, to write poems, for every occasion, and faithfully sends it across to me all of the time. Most of the time, her messages and calls to me go unattended, but she never mistakes me at any point of time! Because she knows her Professor Anna well!

A Science grad, with no literature connect whatsoever, with such intense passion for literature, is sure bound to inspire and motivate any literary heart, I bet! And hence this post!

In fact Sai Shri wanted to do her Masters in English here with us at MCC. But back then, the department did not accommodate cross majors! That’s hence she went ahead to do her Masters with SASTRA! And lady luck has been so gracious unto her. She’s now doing amazingly well as a teacher, ennobling minds and hearts with her passion and commitment for teaching!

Dr. Ramamurthy, HOD of Computer Science, her beloved father, is a gifted and talented teacher. His students have such high regards and admiration for him, for his gentleness, for his acumen, for his profound knowledge and for his love.

This evening, I received a text message from this wonderful kiddo of ours! The text message was quite lengthy. To my surprise, it was yet another poem in praise of her daddy! I was so amazed at the poem, that I said, ‘Congrats kiddo on such an amazing poem’. And then I added to ask her, ‘Shall I post this poem on our blog?’

Soon came a string of such amazing poems on my message inbox, in such sweet celebration of her dad! ;-) with a byline that said, ‘Anna, you can choose from any of these!’

So giving here below, two poems that I had to choose by myself for us all! :-)

One, on her daddy -

His smile steals a lot many hearts
Every single soul wants to spend time with him
My collars are raised with the colossal pride I own
for I am the result of his sperm.
He holds the light so high attracting thousands.
Thousands multiply as they spread wings and take flight.
It's the sight of him surrounded by a sea of students that I see
When he pays me a visit!

My eyes are filled with envy
and I question him, ‘Why?’
Even as I find the answers now.
I still remember getting mesmerized
by the green pastures sitting beside you as a kid.
Going for a long ride on every available chance we used to get.
My sports trainer who I thought was being cruel
but I learnt that you taught me
to endure and enjoy the sport.

A man who gives unpolished comments
Helping me man up to face the real world!
Someone who taught me to sate the appetite
And never to lose it at the same time.

The man who waits with open arms
every single time I fail
and walks with his chest up and chin up every time I win.
The man who gets the costumes that I covet
Yet taught me how to dress.
His faith doesn’t fade...
not the least bit when I hug a best friend of mine
from the opposite gender.

He is my very first boyfriend
Who helped me set the standards for myself
and my partner as well,
On how to treat and how to be treated!
One who taught me that
It’s as much important to understand
As it is to be understood,
To support as it is to be supported.

I grew up to understand
that you are a daddy to many
though you are a father ONLY to ME.

I love you.
Admire you.

Sai Shri Ramamurthy.

And this second one, for her students –

I chalk your dreams so that you can chase them
I talk to you for an entire sixty minutes
Yet I am not tired despite the preparation it takes
My salary is almost same as your pocket money
I receive no compliments nor promotions
Yet you complain despite the fact that you don’t reflect my efforts
What would it take to just turn a couple of pages a day
My recognition??
What in the world would ignite your passion
What does it take for you to ink a good future
When I am giving you my present
You think soldiers always wear uniforms!
I battle against your laziness
For your good and that of the nation
What would you call me?
I always have your back
Yet you back answer
What would you call me?
When I do a dad’s job
I dry your tears though I scream at you!
What would you call a person doing a mom’s job
When I become a stand up comedian
Hosting a free show doing a job of a best friend
What would you call me?
I have to lend a shoulder
And sometimes raise the same against the management
nd your parents just for you!
Do you say that soldiers always wear uniforms?

More are there on my inbox! But that’s meet for another post!

Kids like Sai Shri are a real blessing to us all!

We love you kiddo!

Keep up the spirit! We your teachers are so proud of you.

May all your heart’s wishes be granted and may you shine, like your daddy, inspiring and ennobling hearts and minds alike with your passion for teaching.

Regards,
Dr. Rufus

1 comment:

  1. When students have a teacher as you, one can create such talents... Congratulations to both the ward and the mentor.Dr. G. Beulah

    ReplyDelete