Thursday 19 August 2021

“Every person I meet is my superior in some way, in that, I learn of them...”

On Suchindra | A Great Mind! πŸ’›

19 August 1996

#memoriesfromdiaries πŸ’•

Emerson once famously said, “Every person I meet is my superior in some way, in that, I learn of them.”

How true with all the people we meet in our lives!

In other words, Emerson says that, true learning happens for me, only when I consider every person I meet to be superior to me in some way! πŸ’›

More especially with our friends who double up as classmates!

My personal diary entry, 19 August 1996

There are certain friends with whom you would love to sit next to, when lecture classes are in progress, ain’t it?

That’s because they’d share your vibes, your passion and your enthusiasm for the subject, and in listening to the lecture and taking down notes word by word, line by line!

When you miss out on a word, you look up your friend’s notes, and hey presto, he’s got it down so right!

I loved Suchindra a lot because he was that friend of my own heart! πŸ’›

He was very clear of his calling!

Unwavering in his purpose!

Added, he was a thinker!

The thoughts he shares with you are so profound!

Something that’s quite a rarity in ‘teen’ talks!

On this particular day, after a little siesta, I headed straight for my tuitions to T.Nagar, the hub of all great tuition classes back then!

[Remember Brilliant Tutorials, anybody? That was also housed in T. Nagar!]

Some of his thoughts were so enriching and ennobling that I wanted to write them down in my diary!

Firstly, on Muhammad Ali – After Ali had won the gold medal at the Rome 1960 Olympic Games, he was once teased into a fight by some street men it seems. But Muhammad Ali refused to fight the street men, because of his Olympic fame and glory.

He is said to have angrily thrown his gold medal into the river, because of racial abuse! [after he was denied a room in a hotel / declined service at a restaurant because of his African American roots!]

Secondly, Suchindra narrated an incident from Russia about a boy who had been programmed to function like a robot; and the scientist who programmed him got a hefty fee for it, he said.

Thirdly, he shared some interesting snippets on Discovery Channel’s adventurous quest citing a few examples.

Finally, he spoke on scientists from Russia, who were on mission mode, trying to find out the end of the Universe, since, if they succeeded in calculating on that, they could then easily predict the destruction of the earth as well.

Although Suchindra spoke still more on a lot of other interesting aspects, my day’s diary has just one sheet, you see, and hence I’d written down just the essence of his conversation with me!

What a great blessing to have such amazing friends who share such enriching and ennobling ideas with you, ain’t it?

As the good ol’ saying goes –

‘Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people’.

By this yardstick, then, my dear friend Suchindra could very well be called a real great mind! πŸ’›

PS: You may want to read more on the topic of "Great Minds vs Small Minds" HERE on our past blogpost!

No comments:

Post a Comment