Tuesday 24 August 2021

'I participate in Seminars and Workshops in my individual capacity as well, and apply all that I had learnt there in my classrooms...!'

Innovative Pedagogy | National Awardee

from todays Dinamani, Tamil morninger

[Mr. Manohar Subramanian, Govt School Teacher]

I chanced upon a very inspirational article in today’s Dinamani.

It’s about a dynamic Govt School Teacher from Karur who has bagged the National ICT Award for his innovative, computer-based learning programme for students.

From today's Dinamani Supplement

His innovative methods look so inspiring, and hence me thought of translating just a few excerpts from his talk – (from Tamil to English) for the benefit of a larger reading audience!

So here goes -

Information technology has become an indispensable force in the 21st century.

Mr. Manohar has been applying innovative, computer-based learning programmes in the teaching – learning process for students.

He has also bagged the ‘National Information and Communication Technology Award’ for 2018.

In this connect, he had this to say –

I work as a secondary grade teacher at the Velliyanani panchayat union primary school, from Velliyanai Village, Thanthoni Block, in Karur District.

I regularly take part in all the information-technology related training offered by the Govt of Tamil Nadu, and I would also promptly try and implement all that I had learnt in my classrooms.

This apart, I also participate in seminars and workshops in my individual capacity as well, and apply all that I had learnt there in my classrooms!

My aim is to improve the learning skills of the students and thereby simplify teaching!

By means of my first-hand experience, I came to realise that the teaching-learning experience gets enhanced -

Through an audio-facilitated reading programme titled Rainbow Reading, Activity, Implementation, Net Refer, Book Refer, Oral Practice, [Viva Voce, Asking Questions], Written Exam etc.

This apart, I drafted an action plan for providing a rich teaching-learning experience, using software like Immersive Reader, Gardena, Activity Minecraft, OneNote, etc.

I’ve been implementing this action plan in my classes from 2018 onwards.

I took my inspiration from the TN state board text books which were introduced in 2018 with QR code, and decided to have QR code in the identity cards of the school students.

The idea of QR code for students helped him create a digitized database of a student’s profile.

Added, parents could also get to know the academic performance of their students, says Mr. Manohar.

Game-based tools also became an instant hit among  students. These tools brought out the best of creativity in them.

I'm currently working on my next programme called microlearning centre!

Through this venture, around five students from a particular area will be connected online and they will be involved in a collaborative study.

With this, the students in a small group will learn together and help each other.

Likewise, a total of six centres will be created with 30 students and these centres will be monitored thoroughly to give them sustained interventions.

I also feel that, by encouraging group learning, we can develop diversity and multifacedness in our students,

says Mr. Manohar Subramanian!

No comments:

Post a Comment