Dear final year PostGrads in Literature,
On behalf of Alison Donnell, Professor of Modern Literatures in English, SFHEA, I would like to call your attention to a wonderful opportunity for you to do a fully-funded PhD studentship for 39 months starting 1 October 2017 to work on a project on Caribbean Literary Heritage funded by the Leverhulme Trust (CoA Prof Kei Miller).
The project entails sustained exploration of West Indian writing published and written for local and educational contexts and will investigate why these writings accrued less literary value than those by writers who migrated to the UK and writings published by metropolitan literary houses. The research will be underpinned by the methodologies of feminist recovery research, book and publishing history, as well as postcolonial literary theory. Archives to be consulted include: publishers archives (Reading, UK); BBC Written Archives Centre (Caversham); Caribbean Examinations Council archives & Special Collections of University of the West Indies, Cave Hill (Barbados), and the West Indiana Collection, UWI (Trinidad).
The successful student will have input into the final project design and, as part of the project team, will join in project events and publications.
To apply for this studentship you will have -
- Academic qualifications in Literature, including knowledge of postcolonial literatures (preferably Caribbean literature) at BA or MA level
- Skills and disposition to help organise, deliver and participate in public engagement activities & social media channels
- Good organisation and time-management skills
- Self-motivation and the ability to work as part of a team
- Practical experience of archive-based research
- A track record of researching Caribbean Literature
- An interest and aptitude in digital humanities
- The successful candidate will work as part of the project team for approximately six hours per week.
The expected outputs, in addition to the thesis, are -
- academic article
- archive enrichment
- Wikipedia entries
- blogs and twitter feeds
For more details, and to apply online, click HERE
With best wishes,
(You are free to cite my name as a reference, but please do inform me in advance about the same!)