Friday 24 September 2021

'Our Librarian Dr. Manalan called me up, while I was reading the day’s newspaper...'

24 September 1998 | UG Days 😍

#memoriesfromdiaries 💕

Went for our typewriting classes first thing morning. Then went to classes.

Back then, in our UG days, in our eagerness and excitement, we used to try and equip ourselves in as many ways as possible.

So mornings we (Wes, Bagat Singh & myself) went to our typewriting [lower] classes. Evenings (on alternate days) we went to our Hindi classes at the Dakshina Bharat Hindi Prachar Sabha, and then to our music classes as well. (again, on alternate days)

Coming back,

After my classes got over, went to the Students Services Centre [SSC].

Well, the SSC was [and is] known for housing an amazing repertoire of books and magazines - meant to prepare students for all kinds of Competitive Examinations.

On this particular day, Rev. James Srinivasan, Bishop, Trichy Diocese laid the foundation stone for the new Computer Science block.

Today is memorable for yet another reason.

Our Librarian Dr. Manalan called me up, while I was reading the day’s newspaper [in our hostel’s reading room], and with such excitement on him, he congratulated me on my write-up on the Library in today’s The New Indian Express.

He also suggested that I preserve and compile all my previous articles/letters to Newspapers and Magazines.

And to my surprise he said that, he has already gotten a sweet little compilation of many of my articles with him.

This was such a sweet and pleasant surprise to me.

How true proves the dictum, 

A guru is someone who takes the greatest pride even in your littlest achievements! 

So in the evening, while having my siesta, I got yet another call from Dr. Manalan, asking me to come over to the library to collect the Newspapers which carried my articles & letters.

Evening went to Guitar classes with Prabhu and Eliot.

Those days we used to have an account with the local Post Office. Transacting at the Post Office was much easier than at the Bank, you see!

Withdrew Rs.50/- from the PO! (Should amount to Rs.500/- by today’s estimation, I guess!)

PS: You may want to read more on Dr. Manalan, HERE on our past post.

No comments:

Post a Comment