Monday, 17 August 2026

An Eventful Day of Literature and Brotherhood | From Margoschis to Madurai ❤️

A Rewarding Evening at Margoschis College

First Day’s FDP | A Report


17th August 2026

It was an honour to be the inaugural speaker for the seven-day FDP on “New Frontiers in Humanities Research: Emerging Paradigms” organised by Nazareth Margoschis College, Thoothukudi District. I spoke on the topic, “Trajectories in Literary Gerontology”, from 7.10 pm to 8.35 pm.

Well, this evening, just two hours before the FDP had started, I received a call from the Principal of Margoschis College (my brother and very good friend, and an illustrious alumnus of MCC) Dr. Benison.

Inviting me formally for the FDP he also added, ‘Thambi, please log in by 6.45 pm. Else, it would be a bit difficult to get into the Zoom meet’.

Quite surprised, I asked him, “Sure Annan. Approximately how many Professors and Researchers have registered, Annan?”

“More than 450 have registered, thambi. That’s why I want you to log in early”, he said.

"Woww! That’s a record number of participants for an FDP, Annan," I observed. 

So delighted to note that, we had participants from all over India and abroad, and the interaction session that followed the Talk went on for well over 45 minutes, that the organisers had to finally ‘disable chat’ on the Zoom meet to finally end the meeting! The FDP session ended by 9.15 pm.

Also, I was happy to see a host of vibrant familiar faces - Dr. Anjana Nair, Dr. Archana, Dr. Tony, Prof. Sundhar, among others. 

Special congratulations to my brother Dr. Benison, Principal, Margoschis College, on organising this FDP on a highly pertinent theme that is in tune with the needs of academia today.

A special word of appreciation to Dr. Garret and his team for their exemplary dedication and team work.

After the online session today, Dr. Benison Annan, personally called me up and thanked me, as a formal, courtesy call. It was such a noble gesture that I really cherish a lot.

On the whole, a very rewarding day in every way!

Wait, that’s not all... 😊

When I opened my WhatsApp I saw a string of messages from my brother Dr. Rama Subbiah, Principal, Mannar Thirumalai Naickar College, Madurai. He showed me the pages and pages of notes he had taken during my talk this evening. I was deeply touched to the core.


[On an aside, Indeed it was another eventful day today at Mannar College, Madurai, since Ms. Hannah David - had her PhD Viva Voce exam. The who’s who of Madurai’s academia were there at Mannar! Be it the Principal of Lady Doak College, the Principal of American College, Dr. Dayalan, HoD of Madurai Kamaraj University, Dr.Amala, Dr. Janaki, Dr. Premila Paul, were all present to grace the occasion].


The Principal of such an illustrious College, who also had the Viva of a PhD Scholar today in Campus, has taken the time off to listen to my lecture, and had also taken copious notes.

Such a beautiful gesture. A subtle acknowledgement of his love and encouragement for me.

Thank you dear Subbu Annan. 

Dr. Rama Subbiah with Dr. Arjunan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

"I had to face almost 80 rejections for the first few years" ❤️

@ Vinayaka Missions Arts & Science College | Today A Report Felt so happy to be the Chief Guest for the inaugural of the English Literar...