Monday, 14 September 2026

The Chilling Lub-Tub Encounter | Face-to-Face with a Wild Elephant 💚

A Morning on the Ghats |My Heart-Stopping Elephant Encounter

14th September 2026

#intothewildwithrufus #birding


As they say, there’s nothing quite like unto the peace, the serenity and the invigorating calm of the dawn, especially when you’re driving down the ghat roads.

Well, early into the morning today, I was driving down thus, through the winding mountain roads after a deeply rewarding solo trip, having had a blessed darshan of the birds, bears, bees, butterflies, and yes, the untamed beauty of the hills.

And what’s more! I was the only soul heading downhill that early, even while a steady stream of vehicles was busy making their way up!

And then… nature decided to give me the utmost surprise and shock of a lifetime!

Right there, midway across the main road, were two magnificent wild elephants casually claiming the ghat roads as their own. 😊 Oh yes it really is theirs for the keeps, you see! 😊

Guess what? My heart began to race fast, faster, fastestttt… We all were engrossed watching the sight, mesmerised… from both sides of the road!

The first female so dutifully and gracefully crossed the road, slipping silently into the deep green ravine below. Her companion, however, was in no rush. I guess, she had resolved that, it was the perfect time and place to get a little sporty!

First came the mud bath - a joyful, display of wild freedom right in the middle of the road.

But then, she turned and started ambling directly toward my car.

For a second, panic nay a panic attack set in.

My heart went into absolute overdrive mode you see! - a frantic, racing lub-tub, lub-tub mode! Indeed, I was completely frozen, not knowing what to do!

But… as I watched this incredible sight right in front of my eyes, my fear gave way to pure awe. I decided to simply breathe, respect her space, and enjoy the magic while it lasted.

So it was, that, I tried to muster up a brave show of “gallantry” (safely from behind my steering wheel, of course 😉), grabbing my phone to capture this unforgettable moment for our ‘Untravelled Worlds’ YouTube Channel.

It was quite cinematic by all means! Yes! At last, I finally gathered the courage to drive right through, inching past quite boldly with this beautiful giant barely a few feet away from me! 

You may want to watch the full encounter on our channel HERE, and yes! you absolutely don’t want to miss the grand finale (that’s coming up tomorrow) 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Welcoming the Winter Guests | A Dawn Birding Adventure in Namma Chennai Today 💚

The First Flock | Welcoming Seven Magnificent Migrants to Namma Chennai #intothewildwithrufus #birding 6th September 2026 Today, as part of ...