Friday 27 January 2017

Dream come true...

A SEA OF BOOKS I SEE…
Hannah Chandran, II MA English

“I want to buy them all…” was what I kept saying again and again to my friend, on the way back to college, after visiting the 40th Chennai Book Fair. I had postponed my visit to the Book Fair till the last day simply because of the fact that I hate crowds. After arriving at the grounds on the last day of the Fair however, my fear of crowds disappeared and all I could see were…BOOKS, and BOOKS, and MORE BOOKS.

It was as though my dream came true. I even forgot about my friend who had accompanied  me to the Fair. I was so excited seeing so many stalls that I could not stay in one stall for more than two minutes – I simply had to see what was in the next stall! There were stalls selling books of different genres, languages and subject matters.

The stall that really caught my attention was the one that sold books for only Rs. 50/-. The only other place where I have been that sold books that cheap was in a few roadside shops in Trivandrum, Kerala. Seeing this particular stall in the Book Fair made me so happy, that I wished that I could buy all the books there! There was another stall that sold only fiction and biographies. I could not help but wish I was, - as the saying goes, - as rich as Croesus. Most of the books in this stall were number one bestsellers.

Though I had a wonderful time looking at all the books in each and every stall that I went, I was regretful  that I could not buy any. The reason for my dilemma – I wanted to buy them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment