Friday 27 January 2017

Back again in the magical world of books!

BOOK FAIR 2017
Aiswarya Susan Samuel, 2nd MA English
 
In this era of booming technology, books are gradually going into the process of getting the status of ‘old’. But one can never forget that old is ever golden. There is something lost when one shifts from a pen to a number of keys on keyboard. Today there is less effort taken in reading as the reader has to just scroll down the pages rather than turn it over one by one. The reader does not feel the pages by sitting glued to the screen. The satisfaction of completing the pages by counting it again and again is never felt in reading e-books.

The 40th Chennai Book Fair was a wonderful experience. The sight of the books itself could bring an ardent lover of books to a state of exhilaration. The excitement I had is beyond words as it was after a long time I got a chance to be again in a magical world of books. The array of books was attractive that I could not help stopping by to enjoy the beauty of it. Each stall was colourful and beautiful in its own way. There was a wide range of books belonging to different fields such as literature, history, science, general knowledge, psychology, philosophy, economics and so on. There were also stalls for regional language books.       

      
There were second hand book shops that really helped students to purchase books that they loved at lower rates. Having spent some time with my friends at the book fair, I found that it was difficult for any visitor to go without buying a book. Expensive books just went into the ‘wish list’ while lower price books went in exchange of cash.

There was a joy that I felt on seeing ‘Tinkle’ and ‘Amar Chitra katha’ story books which took me back to my childhood days. Some characters and stories are still fresh in my memory. I was also very happy to see copies of some of the favorite books in my personal collection arranged in the book shops.

The crowd there was a proof for the fact that love for books is not dead. The book fair gave an invitation into its world to all those who were busy in the technological world. It was an invaluable time spent there and if at all the memory of the roll call bell in the hall hadn’t haunted me, I could have stayed longer to explore the magic in all the book shops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment