Monday 30 January 2017

The girl who stood up for education...

AMIDST THE CHASM OF BOOKS
Merril Mary Mathew, II MA English

The Chennai Book Fair organised by the Books sellers and Publishers Association of South India at St. George’s Anglo-Indian Higher Secondary School near Chetpet was a feast not just for voracious readers but for all sorts of people. 

The book fair captivated me completely and I was so thrilled to see the vast collection of books belonging to different genres in different stalls. The endless numbers of stalls were actually a rare scene in a book fair. There were wide collection of books on Philosophy, History, Thrillers, Fairy tales, Psychology and the list continues.

Although the whole stall was piled up with varied collection of books, what captured my attention was the real life story of the girl who stood up for education and was shot by Taliban and the work was none other than ‘I AM MALALA’. 

The book reminded me of how I live my life as a free bird. I was always captivated by the way Malala spoke in interviews before she was attacked and I don’t think anyone can define the difficulties the girl has faced or the impact she has on the world. So I chose to get this autobiography without any second thoughts or delay.

I visited the book fair along with my friends and the experience was truly mind blowing and awesome. Even though we were tired of classes, our tiredness just vanished after stepping into the book fair and we couldn’t resist ourselves from grabbing more and more books. Since we had curfew at hall, we had to return soon and that was our only disappointment. And all thanks to you sir who wanted all of us to visit the book fair, otherwise we would have missed a great experience in our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment