Thursday 26 January 2017

To each their own!

BUS NO 101 AND UNO CARDS
C. L. Sam Paul, II MA English

My first ever visit to the Chennai book fair started with a bit of agitation, as I didn’t board the bus on time. It was the half-hour wait at Sriperumbudhur and Poonamalee respectively that annoyed me a lot. Since I travel for three hours every day it was not a strange thing to wait for a bus, but on that particular day, since it happened to be an unknown route, I was told by people around me to board bus no 101. As I was eagerly looking for bus no 101, I found it on the extreme left and with a huge grin I safely boarded the bus, and luckily I got a seat too.

After ten minutes, the conductor came in; since he was ticketing from behind, I couldn’t verify immediately, and so I waited… for ten more minutes; driver started bus, when conductor came near, I checked with him whether the bus would pass through Chennai book fair, but then to my surprise, conductor said ‘NO!’ I was taken aback, 25 minutes wait resulted in vain! I sadly got down, called up my brother, who repeated the same word “Bus No 101” again, and so quite furiously I treaded to a booth nearby, and yet again I was told that it was 'Bus No 101!'

Now, with no other options left, I finally trusted my brother’s words and hesitantly boarded bus no 101. After 45 minutes of travel I reached Aminjikarai, and for the first time I felt as an alien in my own state. In a new place, on a vacant pavement, I started to walk, and quite next to the Indian Oil Petrol bunk I saw a big poster “Chennai book fair 2017”. After toiling hours of travel, it was like an achievement. As soon as I entered the Book Fair, I was peeping in at the stalls, and I saw a lot of Tamil books and some of Chetan Bhagat’s, Dan Brown’s and as usual some great classics.


As I was strolling along, I noticed a few things – elderly people were seriously and curiously searching for books, kids were happily running around with masks, boys playing with Uno cards. These things amused me a lot. Boys were not worried about anything, nor were they distracted by the noise pollution. For many of us that place was a treasure, but for those kids it was just another place!. 

As I was searching for short stories, finally I figured it out in the Sahitya Akademi Stall. That day, I learnt no matter how serious this world gets, children’s world will remain the same and pure too!. I happily exited the Fair with a cup of fruit salad, and as I was crossing the street, bus no 101 passed me by. It did annoy me a lot and made me ferocious. Life is never made up of a bed of roses! Quite unexpectedly Bus No 101 and UNO cards made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment